WordsmithToYou

Monday, April 22, 2013

The Wives Draper



There has to be a reason why I will always choose Betty over Megan.
Maybe I’m a sucker for “The First Wives Club” or maybe I am still having nightmares of Megan’s “performance” at that house-warming thing, but quite frankly, this newly rotund lunatic has my heart.
As I faithfully watch this 6th season and question whether or not the drowsy pace of each episode can be attributed to the words “directed by Jon Hamm” floating past my screen, I recognize a nostalgia for Betty and Don Draper. I miss the days when Betty pretended not to notice her husband was a serial humper, when Sally was a tot, and when weird baby Eugene was merely a glimmer in a desperate woman’s eye. 
…and then it hit me
Perhaps my devotion to Team Betty stems from the memories I associate with my introduction to Matthew Weiner’s world.

Several summers ago, The-First-Time-I-Have-Ever-Been-In-Love and I spent an entire pajama-clad weekend watching the 1st season on DVD before the debut of season 2. It was a simpler time where love now meant love forever and both of us knew the series would be cancelled long before we ever were.

Everything is different now.  We both moved on to successful relationships, Lane’s dead and even Drink-You-Under-The-Table Draper is vomiting at funerals. To be honest Don has lost a hint of his luster in my eyes...

Megan is simply a reminder that things change; we grow up and apart. And every so often, maybe it is in our best interest to just change the channel because with or without our consent life keeps on getting picked up for another season.
~carter

No comments:

Post a Comment