WordsmithToYou

Monday, June 24, 2013

Like Gertrude & Ernest


…and then I found myself furiously scribbling away in Paris. I would tote my journal along from the Luxembourg Gardens to every café my shrinking euro stash would allow to Père Lachaise cemetery [but mostly] to the quiet areas of the 6th arrondissement that will always be my own.

In the heart and mind of a fifteen year old who had never even been to sleep-away camp, this solo summer sojourn meant the world. I planned on having Paris validate all my dreams of Paris. A place so far removed from the culture of home that I could not help but create an alternate persona. Someone who sauntered a little slower, savored even the most fleeting moments, and perpetually pursed her lips between sentences. Utilizing my French speaking skills, I spent my free time pretending I was a native parisienne, aiding tourists with directions or in taking a family photo in front of many a monument [in the age before the “selfie”].

As profound as I attempted to be at the time, I suppose it could be said that being fifteen anywhere in the world has its moments of growth, realization, and coming-into-one’s-own. But since I only have my own experiences from which to draw and since my coming-into-my-own happened to coincide with a once in a lifetime excursion, I am going to conclude that I discovered the sole enduring facet of my life as a teenager in Paris: I am a writer.

Pardon me while I quote myself, but in a school paper that year, I stated the following: Oscar Wilde said that, “When good Americans die, they go to Paris”. He almost got it right. I believe that when good Americans truly live, they go to Paris to find a home, find themselves, and to find a way back. [Boy did that fifteen year old know what’s up] But here’s the thing, to an idealist teenager, it seems every truth will remain so indefinitely and every talent will come swiftly without life’s inevitable intrusions. I was able to feel at home in Paris; the feel of pen and paper did not alter simply because I was 6,000 miles away. I was able to cultivate my creativity because I had the time and I uncovered a generative place within myself to which I could consistently return. I became more confident; while I may have felt a little too dark or too chubby under the Los Angeles sun, in Paris, I was one more Ooo la la away from not making my returning flight. [Shout out to the European men who consistently walked the fine line between respectful and kind of odd advances] see post below for more on my views of male/female interactions.

As I was saying, life discovers a way to try and thwart you from your desired path. I’m sure the fact that for the next seven years I was a slave to academia and did not even want to read a menu or write a grocery list had something to do with why my personal reading and writing took a back seat to more pressing literacy priorities.

It took years to return to Paris-grade Me and I have you, the L.O.T. Blog enthusiast, to thank for my rejuvenated love of doing what makes me feel most at home. I may not be able to host all of you in my living room for bohemian events, but this is the 21st century and the interwebs can be our salon. We are not the Lost Generation of our great-grandparents, but there remains a dire need to collectively share our thoughts. There must be a place where people won’t look at us strangely for using proper grammar and polysyllabic diction, and where putting your delusions and ingenuity into words can be valued, praised, criticized and re-worked. I thank you for this opportunity and invite you, just like Gertrude and Ernest did before me, to join the conversation.

#writeon

~carter

No comments:

Post a Comment